Ramble On

Saturday, July 30, 2005

The REAL Fantas(y)tic Four

Pardon the title...
So I've officially been absorbed into the world of fantasy football, last year it was yet again our good buddy Steve who got us into it, with a few teams, but only one that mattered, in a league of our friends that ended up with only 4 of us...In all honesty I can't remember who won, but the important thing was that in our head-to-head matchups I'm pretty sure Steve and I were dead even. So no bragging rights, really.
However, every conversation from August to February had something, if not everything to do with our respective teams and leagues in the fantasy world, and it really frightened me how much effort I put into picking the right combinations of players each week to defeat the other combination of players picked by another person. In the overall scheme of things, meaningless, especially considering that I knew none of the people I played against, other than Steve, so somehow those weeks we had a head to head were the most intensely researched and thought out rosters of the season.

Well clearly I got the bug, I even went so far as to draft a fantasy football (soccer that is) team knowing nothing other than Ruud Van Nistelrooy (sic) Wayne Rooney and that I shouldn't load my team up with only Man U players. Steve even lent his helping hand to that venture although I lost interest over the longterm and my squad definitely got the bejesus kicked out of them.

This raises the question, what could possibly lead me, who only watches soccer when others have it on TV already or I'm too tired to change the channel, would select a team to compete...there was no money involved, but it was a league of our friends from University, although they probably had a good laugh at Gavin's complete lack of knowledge of soccer and who was the shit and who was shit(e). Paul Hatcher's laughing comes to mind specifically, along with a shaking of the head and chastising me as a wanker all in good fun. (Paul if you read this, you would be right, I would be a wanker with no business in soccer alongside all the rest of you all but it was fun so I might even do it again!).
But back to where I was,,,what would make me do this? the sheer fun of laughing when others failed and when I succeeded, which in the soccer league was not often at all. Taking it back to the football however, I loved it, and even had a compadre to share it with when I started work at Trailhead, come every Monday morning Pete and I would compare notes on who'd played for us and how well or poorly we'd done, and it was a nice bonding for me with a guy who otherwise I might have taken a while to get to know, but football brought us together.

Well fast forward to tonight and my mum suggests a visit to our local corner bookshoppe, or in this case Megaplex - Chapters, where I had to choose from at least 4 different Fantasy Football guide magazines. I spent 10$ or 1 hour and 15 minutes of work income on a magazine to help me choose the team/players who I thought would be the ones to lead me to glory. Add to that my girlfriend opting to stay home and watch I am Sam on CBC, and I have just spent the last 5 hours nearly straight just reading this magazine making lists and adjusting the already existing teams I have...as we speak I am preparing for another live online draft, happy in the knowledge I have the first overall pick, and I will excercise that to pick none other than KURT WARNER.


Just kidding Steve, I had to say it. No I will opt for a much more obvious pick, LaDainian Tomlinson, Running Back for the San Diego Chargers, who before him were known more in Canada for being where Doug Flutie went after the Idiots in Buffalo thought Rob Johnson would be a better bet. So for having spent $11.49 after taxes, I went from thinking I would obviously pick Peyton Manning the saviour of last year's fantasy team, to realising it made far more sense to go for a running back, and the magazine's many articles and rankings led me to LT over other candidates such as Shaun Alexander (mad at his team for contract issues and not letting him get the rushing record last season); Priest Holmes (gimpy and due to break something soon, plus the guy's name is priest for christsakes); and a score of other hopefuls.

So unless you're into football to the same extent I am, this is a boring as all shit entry..but for Steve and whoever else might see it, I think you know what I"m talking about. Draft time in T-minus 15 minutes!!!

I'm going to go draft now, and I shall return to let you know how it all comes out.
PS. Thanks for the positive feedback Steve, the world, THEY (it) whatever, does need my ramblings.
Via Con Dios.
oh and let me in on one of your leagues this year again Johns, I can't enjoy it the same if I don't get to play you.

Adios Amigos.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:12 PM , Blogger Brianna said...

    Hey Gavin,
    Never met ya in person, but since we have the Steve Johns factor in common, I figure it would be a good idea to say welcome to the blogging world! And as for the praise of my said boyfriend - god knows his head doesn't need to get any bigger :D I'm lookin' forward to reading more entries (and yes, the ones on fantasy sports are okay, too)

    -bri

     
  • At 12:43 PM , Blogger Liver-Paul said...

    Gav!
    Be my guest and join fantasy football (real football, that is) - go to yahoo.co.uk and sign up

    We're group ID # 237, the password is 'liverpool' - come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough ;)

    peace out, yo.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home