Ramble On

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Toronto Rock City

I just realized I haven't written for a while, and so I should put in at least some form of update for the 2 people I know who know this exists (Steve & Bri). As well as for those who randomly come across it. I read somewhere, BBC I think, that a new blog is created every SECOND! That's insane and it makes me question the need for my musings on nothing in particular, but Steve has reassured me its a pursuit worth keeping up with.

So here's the update: I spent Wednesday and Thursday in Dalton's Inferno - aka. Toronto,(That was clever I just came up with that) where the average temperature for the approximately 24 hr period I was there, must have been 45 Degrees. And thats not factoring in the pavement and ashphalt baking and adding heat, nor the fact that I must have walked about 60 blocks downtown doing various bits of shopping and just exploring. I decided my transit knowledge was good enough to make me a master of the subway but no way was I trying to experiment with Streetcars and Buses...hence the walking: well that and the fact that I thought Queen Subway station would put one on Queen. Well it did but apparently Queen St West is REALLY west...hence the large amounts of walking. Luckily the effort was appreciated by the person whom I was shopping for ;). So I think I lost about 5 lbs. to sweat, dehydration and just not eating a ton.

Well boring enough but the initial reason to go to TO was not for shopping, but rather for a good old time rock and roll that Bob Seger would probably have approved of. I had tickets for the Kings of Leon show @ Kool Haus, and for those of you who don't know the band, please please PLEASE, check them out. www.kingsofleon.com I was familiar with them mostly from reading of them in various music mags, and I did own their 2 CDs, the first I was more familiar with, and the second I only listened to for the first time the night before the concert. (yes I realise this is silly, especially for those who know how large my CD collection is) Well I knew I liked them and I knew that they had a very good chance of sounding even better in the flesh, so I bought them once I had secured the committment of Steve to play innkeeper and accomplice. The other band that was supposed to open were The Secret Machines, who I also own the debut and only album of, another highly touted band that sounds somewhat like a "Bombastic, Epic Pink Floyd but with louder volume". Unfortunately due to what we later found out was a death in their family (2 of the 3 members are brothers) they cancelled so we had 2 not very good fill-ins, the Helio Sequence who informed us this was their first night on tour, and if Steve and I had anything to say about it, also their last. The next band, from Sweden, the Shout out Louds, who definitely tried hard, but did not succeed. 2 of 3 bands down and we were sorely dissapointed...

However the next 1-1 1/2 hrs salvaged the night, and also made a fan out of Steve, who to his credit, pretty much attended this show on my reccomendation alone with a little bit of background reading on the band and the one song I had managed to play for him: Holy Roller Novocaine, which is the closing song on the first album, Youth and Young Manhood. which is also a pretty cool album name. This song is also probably my favourite new song of the moment.

Anyhow, I'm at work in good ole' K-town and its now time to go back to work from my lunch break so more will follow.

Word to your moms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home