Ramble On

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Top 5 Football Games I can recall

Ok well this is in no particular order, and came to me in the shower the other morning (ok well afternoon but the part when I get out of bed).
I was thinking about the best games I can recall watching.
I decided to go with 5 since 10 seems a little high, and I'd have to stretch.

1) Super Bowl XLII Giants-Patriots - how can that NOT be on the list?
2) AFC Championship 2007 Colts-Patriots - This game was bigger than the Colts-Bears Super Bowl that followed and a very tight nailbiter of entertainment.
3) NFC Divisional Game 2004 - Panthers-Rams - Check out www.nwontario.blogspot.com for a great review of what that game did to me. Even though the Rams lost, it was still such a treat to watch.
4) Dec 22 2003 Packers-Raiders - Everyone knows this game came the day after Brett Favre's father died, and everyone knows how it went. Watching it was something else, and yes Steve, I know you hate to hear worship so I'm not going to worship. I'm just going to say, having lost my own father 3 months earlier than Brett, this game was what broke me down after holding it in. Dramatic yes, but true.
5)Super Bowl XXXIV Rams-Titans - This one was a toughie but it had to be on the list. After having arranged with our floor senior in NOVEMBER when all 8 guys on our wing of 30 were at lunch at Ban Righ to reserve the TV for the Super Bowl in Res, we watched the first 15 minutes of the game only to have 4 girls march in and declare they were now watching Figure Skating, and we had to make other arrangements or we could sit and watch. Well 15 minutes of tearing a strip of the chickenshit coward yellowbelly Ryan the Floor Senior, and after a tirade of profanity enough to make a sailor cry directed at said females (who we later found out, were watching a REPEAT OF A PREVIOUSLY TAPED EVENT!!!) Widge, Sage and I were off to find somewhere to watch the game with a great deal of Alcohol preferably available. For God's sakes, the RAMS were in the big show, my team, ever since they moved from LA, and ever since the Cardinals had moved to Arizona/Phoenix/the retirement desert. We ended up at Shoeless Joe's with the crowd including Kingston's mayor 2 tables over, who was having a great time and may have been drunker than 50% of the rest of the patrons. All I really remember of the game was the tackle at the 1-yard line, and the fact that if Instant Replay or Challenges existed back then, I might not have had such a happy end to the night!

Honourable Mention: Season Opener 2006 - September 25th - Saints-Falcons - This was close, but then I couldn't call myself a Rams fan if I didn't put those games on. After the shitstorm that was Katrina, obviously they weren't sure if the Saints would even be in the Big Easy ever again...well needless to say they are, and if you can't say a good chunk of that was assured because of this nationally televised MNF game...then you're lying. In what I can only call a very awesome in the sense of the word crowd and vibe and feeling was all over the Superdome. It was a reclamation of a place of horror and negativity back to an uplifting locale. and then the actual GAME started...well I've never been so excited to see a blocked kick in my whole life...I swear Disney scripted that game. Then New Orleans went on to such a great year, one game from the Super Bowl, and all was right in the Superdome again. (sadly same can't be said for the rest of the Gulf Coast Region)

Be interested to hear what others have on their lists and in other sports too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home