Ramble On

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Eating the Dinosaur - Chuck Klosterman

I just finished reading Chuck Klosterman's Eating the Dinosaur, and, much like every other book he's written (aside from Downtown Owl, which was a novel) I tremendously enjoyed it, and had to force myself to not read it all in one night. I really enjoy reading, and unfortunately, studying History at Queen's destroyed my enjoyment reading, and made reading more of a process of trying to soak up as much information as possible for later use in conversation or essays. Luckily, after university, I got back to reading for fun, and have found I enjoy it more now than ever, and I think the university style reading still affects how I read, as I find myself wanting to further research things I read within books. Back to the book itself, a collection of previously published essays, a couple I had read, but most I hadn't. I find this to be a good way to break up a book, so that you can read piecemeal, and not lose connection with the story if you put the book down for a few days or weeks. As with all his work, I found myself readily agreeing to much of what he wrote, and the ideas made for great philosophical discussions, or chatter with friends. It's funny, because I remember reading SPIN magazine when I was in high school and university and absolutely HATING his articles...I think maybe he's evolved as a writer, and I've evolved as a reader/thinker. This is great, because it makes me feel smarter, like I somehow 'get it' now, whereas I didn't earlier...or maybe he just was a shitty writer back then. (probably not, I should go back and reread some of his stuff). It doesn't make sense to get into everything this book covers, but suffice it to say, if you read this book and couldn't find something to be interested in between the covers, I'd be very surprised. Sports, Music, Culture, Politics, Philosophy, Society, it's all there. I think what I really like is that it makes Pop-Culture seem like it's actually important, and a worthy field for intellectuals, and not just people who've got nothing better to do. Highly recommended.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home