Ramble On

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Bittersweet Symphony of St. Louis Sports fandomonium...

We sit upon the brink of the very last game ever to be played at Busch Stadium, and it strikes me as quite troubling that it will be with a loss to the Houston fucking Assholes...
The storied franchise that is the St. Louis Cardinals is the most successful franchise in the history of the National League. 9 World Championships, the most recent of which I myself was actually in attendance (albeit as a 2 year old). The last noteworthy moment other than this loss, would be the fact that the Red Sox won their first World Series since the Babe Ruth incident on the very hallowed ground of Busch Stadium, and other than at Fenway or Yankee Stadium (which yes I realise is Impossible, but nonetheless would be quite a fitting setting) a much better spot than some corporately named bohemoth monstrosity with no heart.
And yes, before some genius like Steve points out that Busch is actually owned by Anheiser-Busch breweries, I DO realise it, and its named after the family NOT the cheap watered down American Beer.
and I digress...

On Monday night I was poised to write a scathing blog entry about the ineptitude of St Louisians in professional sport, but then I was privy to one of the top 5 greatest sporting moments in my life...
For all the times I've agreed with the Clichéd Yogi Berraism 'It ain't over til its over', in fact it HAS been over, but I've not been willing to agree until that very last out in the 9th is recorded, believing somehow that thinking positively and avoiding reality will help my beloved Redbirds to pull out a miraculous comeback, yet every time being dashed and crestfallen (wow good word...crestfallen...I like it.)
Well this time I was in the midst of cursing Stephen Jackson and yelling at the Rams for collapsing on National TV. SIDEBAR - Honestly...The Colts only gave up 29 points over 5 games prior to this, and then we come out with all guns blazing and drop 17 points on their over-rated D's ass...and then proceed to watch Marc Bulger's MENTALLY RETARTED attempt to tackle a 290lb Defensive Tackle for NO REASON! thereby putting himself out of commission for at least the next 2 weeks...fucking Rams...but I digress, this will be a longer and more ranting review after the next drubbing.

BACK TO BUSCH
So flipping over to the ballgame after the MNF just overwhelmed me, I see that yes, it is the Top of the 9th, Houston is up 4-2, and we, the CArds have 2 outs and poindexter David Eckstein up to bat...well I know at least one of you knows the rest but let me have my moment ;)
Eckstein manages to scrounge up a hit, followed by Jim Edmonds showing me a newfound patience that I don't seem to recall him having at the plate during the Series last year...but drawing himself a 2-outs walk...bringing to the plate the greatest ballplayer in the league right now IMO, who has power like a motherf...er. Did I actually dare think it? no...
but lo-and-behold...

CRACK!!

The loudest sound I'd heard in baseball since Mark McGwire's 62nd Homer...and Albert Pujols CRUSHED...absolutely DESTROYED the pitch and almost drove it thru the wall in the upper decks...and yes, a 3 run homer puts them up by a run...
In addition, it shuts those annoying Texans up faster than you can say 'Roger Clemens is a bum'.
the rest of the game was a blur, because that shot took ALL the wind out of the sails of that team, and I had actually dared to think that it would help us to make a great comeback...but....

HOLY SHIT.

hold on a second I'll be back....

nevermind.
have u ever misread the sports ticker online? I just did and almost thought they'd done it again...

k-rap. no such luck. like i was saying/writing.
no comeback.
just the last chapter coming to a close for Busch Stadium...
the wrecking ball comes soon...and I really don't like that. I was at Busch last May(2004) and that was my last visit with the greatest baseball atmosphere I've ever tasted.
honestly they don't NEED a new stadium, especially when its going right next to the old one. its a travesty, I think because this stadium has more memories for me than any.

Goodnight sweet busch...ye are the last of your kind, like 3 rivers and veterans before you...you too now bow to the future.

I've run out of juice after the finalisation of the Cards' season...
I can't wax poetic or upset on the Rams right now, I"m too spent...

I'll be back for more when I have the intestinal fortitude.

bye Busch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home