Ramble On

Saturday, March 17, 2007

profuse apologies to my loyal reader(s)

OK first off, sorry about the one month and change absence, a plethora of reasons/excuses are available but they're not that interesting so who cares.
Thanks to Johns and the Jigga for the kicks in the ass to get on it.
2 big things to write about: a new movie and a new(ish) book.

300
Holy shitballs Batman, now THAT was a movie! I wasn't sure if it was going to be heavy on the mystical elements of the Persians or was going to be a sortof Crouching Tiger Style movie with all slow mo fluid motions, or just an all out bloodlust. Well it was a bit of all of those things, and it added up to a wicked awesome movie, that I would say was worth all 11.50$. Visually stunning, and awesome in the awe-inspiring way. The story took a few liberties with what I learned about Thermopylae and King Leonidas and the Spartans in Classic Studies at The Big Q U...but it got the point right. Another good sign is that a movie that was over 2 hrs, I didn't stop to look at my watch once. I attribute that to the company as well...but still, stellar. Gerard Butler (Timeline, Beowulf&Grendel) is a kick ass Spartan, and he looks fucking HUGE as Leonidas. I also totally love that a Spartan has a Scottish accent, much like I loved Russell Crowe's accent as a Roman General being not exactly local. Many parallels with Gladiator including the symbolism of the wheat fields, and the beautiful wife and young son. Mostly with the intense battle scenes, but I would give the edge to 300 here, for I don't t recall as many decapitations in Gladiator. There was also a very good use of the slow-mo Hong Kong style martial arts movie making, and it was very well used, but not over used to the point it took over the movie. The casting was fantastic, as with Butler and some of the other mildly familiar but not totally famous faces in the cast of the Spartans. All in all, please go see this movie, NOW. I haven't seen Sin City but I believe it was adapted from a Frank Miller graphic novel much the same as this was...and the visuals were similar. Go see it, and then let me know why you agree with me; if you don't then you just don't like movies. Also very gratifying to see an R-rated movie make such a killing on opening weekend, $70 Million...much more reassuring than some animated Pixar schlock thats always making a shedload of coin.

The next item up for review is Chuck Klosterman's Killing Yourself to Live a book he wrote about/while on, a crosscountry road trip to various sights of rockstar deaths in the US. This idea was suggested to him by his editor at Spin magazine, and as many of you know, Chuck was the only real journalist who worked there in the last 10 years, and I don't bother wasting my time or money with that magazine anymore, but after this book I might just read his columns at Chapter's and then put the magazine back on the rack...
Anyhow...the book is about much more than just the road trip, its also about him and the women in his life, and in many ways is a companion piece to read if you liked Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, which I loved and the John Cusack movie version is also one of my faves. Anyhoo, its a very similar yet totally different book, but if you liked the one you should like the other a fair bit too. I'll probably write more about it as the days go on, but it had me laughing out loud to the point where I feared I might have soiled myself. (Luckily no) There was also a 3-page passage on Zeppelin that confirmed for me that this man knows EXACTLY what he's talking about.
I'm tempted to just paste that whole passage on here for any of you to read, but perhaps if someone is so interested, just let me know in the comments section and i'll pass it on to you.
Steveo, I'm interested to hear what you thought of Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs I know you said you wanted to throttle him afterwards...discuss.
anyhow, finally back, so hope you've enjoyed.
PS. Go Habs tonight, and beat the tar out of the Leafs, or at the very least, scrape out a win. we need it. or we waste yet another season.
Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home