Ramble On

Friday, August 25, 2006

Oliver Stone does...subdued?

On a friend of my mum's suggestion, she was told to see World Trade Center, and I decided sure why not, and went with her.
Glad I did.
Oliver Stone isn't usually known for doing a reigned-in, subtle, movie, but in this case, judging by the sensitivity of the material, he's gone and made a fantastic gripping movie, even though you have a pretty good idea what's going to happen. That must be the sign of a great director if they can make it entertaining when you know the outcome...
Given movies like JFK, Natural Born Killers and Platoon in his portfolio, I wasn't sure how he'd tackle something like this...but he's gone away from conspiracy theory and overblown epic, and instead focused on the people, and that is possibly the greatest strength of the film.
I don't think I need to do a long review of the film, but I'll just say its worth watching, especially as its coming up on 5 years since that day. Perhaps this will give us something else to take away from everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home