Ramble On

Monday, April 24, 2006

A Hockey one

Well I'm glad that one's over. My heart and blood pressure can NOT handle a seesaw game like that. If you know me well then you will of course know that I am referring to the Habs/Canes game tonight. I didn't catch the first game, but to say surprised at 6-1 WIN would be an understatement. So needless to say I was a little more amped up for this one than I otherwise would have been.
Well one period in and a 3-0 lead makes for a big sigh of relief/contentment but then of course you realise this is the 3rd highest scoring team in the league, and even without Erik Cole they scare.
3-0,3-4,5-4,5-5, double overtime the Neuf hero.
Whew.
As I've grown up watching hockey, I have to admit I grew up thinking that every call the ref made was right if it was for my team and wrong otherwise. I must say I'm glad I'm no longer at that stage, but I've definitely been in the company of some who cannot make that claim. Tonight I'll be honest, I didn't want to win on a PPG in OT, thats just somewhat sour. But I would have taken it.
In regards to penalties, I have to agree with Cherry, that Doug Weight was crying like a baby the whole game to get calls, and as per his analogy, this ain't soccer. Something about American born players just irks me. Speaking of irk, I also think that Rod Brind'Amour might be the elder statesman for ugly in the NHL now. Yuck.
I've been a Habs fan most of my days that I can at least recall, as my dad wasn't a huge sports nut, but had respect for the great teams, so I grew up on the Habs, not the Leafs. That being said, I still also have a soft spot in my heart for the Oil, since one of my earliest sports related memories is being allowed to stay up until...10 O'Clock!!!! to watch Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers in what was probably the 87 playoffs, but either way it was a special occasion to be allowed to stay up late.
So I can also justify it by saying one is in each Conference, and I don't see them play often. But if push came to shove no contest its the Habs. I must agree with Steve's point about cheering the Canadian teams out of patriotism does seem rather shallow, although I'll be the first to admit I was definitely like that in days gone by. However, I could not EVER cheer for the Leafs, as a bitter rival. that being said, cheering the Sens is non excusable either. The only time you cheer for them is if they're playing someone who has a higher ranking hatred in your heart, a la axis of Evil Steveo style. My particular AoE being Philly, Dallas, Carolina, and whoever Jeremy Roenick is playing for at that time. Coincidentally these are also 3 of the NFL teams I hate the most.
Wow this has been a rambling entry, but I do have another comment to make...
Being a fan, there are always some bums on your team that have some talent but still make u pull out your hair.
In my case its Mike Ribero. CAN NOT STAND THAT TWERP. good word twerp. not used enough.
Fuck he could not hit the side of a barn with a guided missle the way he was shooting it tonight.
Should have put the game away a number of times. Also can't stand his smirky face, and I don't honestly get that upset if he gets plastered. Too bad we have to play him.
anyhow thats it for the rambling, gimme some feedback on the bums you love to hate on your own team(s). that would make for an interesting discussion...

and yes that would still have been an amazing game even if we lost. but not as good.

PS. sucks to be a Philly Fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home