Ramble On

Friday, January 13, 2006

Top 5 Records - with thanks to John Cusack

Since I promised a list of my top records etc. for the last year, well I suppose its about time to deliver it. I also figure its a nice distraction from all things political/election/crap. Kudos to Steve for being able to write intelligently about that topic without making it sound like he's on a soapbox, and actually SAYING something instead of just repeating what everyone else said.

So without any further delay, here are Gavin's TOP 5 RECORDS for the Year 2005
(I think one list of new records that came out in 2005, as well as the 5 records that meant the most in 2005, regardless of year)

NEW ALBUMS:

ok well turns out I haven't listened to most of the albums that came out last year, even if I have purchased some and they just so happen to be sitting on my "to absorb" shelf; along with books and magazines. But nonetheless, here are 3 "NEW" Albums that rocked my cashbah 'Back in '05'

1) KINGS OF LEON - Aha Shake Heartbreak

2) THE WHITE STRIPES - Get Behind Me Satan

3) DRIVE BY TRUCKERS - The Dirty South

Truth be told, technically The White Stripes was the only one that came out in 2005, but the other 2 are close enough.

Most of you will know of #2, and if you read this blog, then probably may recall #1, and note that I saw both the Kings and the Stripes this past year and loved them both. (and to me love means that i'll shell out cash again to see them play live next time around)
#3 might be an unfamiliar one to many of you, but I hold Steve to a higher standard and expect him to know the 'Truckers. But for those of you who don't, imagine If Bruce Springsteen had been from Alabama instead of Jersey and he had written songs for the offspring of Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Band. That should be enough to either entice you or make you run screaming, but I beg of you to listen to this band, they are awesome.

NOT SO NEW ALBUMS THAT WERE A KEY PART OF 2005

1) Headstones - the greatest hits
This record will forever be linked with August 2005, most specifically to Bryan's bachelor party, the drive there and back, and the week leading up to his wedding, and thereafter. this cd was playing in my car nonstop from the day I bought it until pretty much the end of the month. I know Steve-o you don't really care for them, but for a Kingston boy, they've just got that something, and it brings back great memories and is now linked to even more. The run of songs from 3-9 is brilliant. But don't take my opinion for it, try it yourselves. Its also a good place for newbies to start. (yes greatest hits packages can be a pandora's box of evil and poor song selection but not in this case)

2) Johnny Cash - American IV The Man Comes Around
Yes this was the big album of mid 2003-2004, especially in the wake of Cash's death in Sept 2003 (a month of infamy for me), however I spent the first half of 2005 unable to listen to nearly anything else. Car, Stereo, at work if I could get it played sometimes, the man in black was the soundtrack for the first half of the year. Its funny how the brain works, but seeing as how Johnny Cash died 12 days before my dad, they are forever linked in my head. Aside from the everpresent and 'most brilliant cover version ever' of Hurt, there are a couple other great covers - namely: Personal Jesus & Desperado. But its the whole album that does it for me, beginning to end, so poigniant, you'd almost think he knew it would be his curtain call. Everything that can be said about it probably has, but I'll say it in my own way: this album probably did more to comfort me about the death of my father than almost anything else has, and yes that might be odd to some, but those who know me know that its most fitting. Johnny Cash is just the most HUMAN figure even when he was probably one of the most famous figures in music, and though I never knew him obviously, after listening to him, I feel like I did.

3) Johnny Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash
Yes, another Johnny Cash record, but 2005 really was my year of Cash. This Double Album Greatest hits package (yes greatest hits, but they seem to make for the best road trip music) was the soundtrack to trips to Wawa, Montreal, NY and many places in between. I needn't say more than that. If you're worried that he's "a depressing old man" then go with this to convince yourself otherwise. (Besides I happen to like the old man too) Don't worry, this is NOT Country music. Cash is far above that. Starting off at Sun Records with Sam Phillips, then its clearly not country, its more a sound all his own, equal bits country/rockabilly/folk/gospel/rock'n'roll. If you don't find yourself tapping your toe or nodding along, then you don't like music.

4) Kings of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood
I already wrote an entire blog entry about this album, so I won't rehash it. Just listen please. More "rock" music should sound like this, with actual soul and heart and sweat, not like the shite on the radio anymore.

So there you have it, do with it as you will. This year one of my resolutions (not that I make any BUT...) is to make sure to listen to all my albums and then only after that do I move onto new ones.

If you have any reccomendations to make, I'm all ears, and if you're also interested then I'm more than happy to make these albums available to you in whatever form I might.

Cheers.

Now off to enjoy the fact that its 10 degrees out in Canada in January....and SUNNY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home