Ramble On

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Sign O' the times? or Boy am I getting old?

This past Monday was Halloween, and for the 25th straight year, I dressed up as something, regardless of the fact I got no Candy in exchange for it.
The inspiration for my costume this year came to me while at work and looking at a new Down Vest we had just got in which was a dark orange colour, very similar to a red.
I tried it on, and asked my co-worker Tyler "what does this remind you of?" and without hesitation, he confirmed that I was not the only one who thought so "Marty McFly" he proclaimed, and then we discussed what a cool halloween costume that would make. As he pointed out however, the likelyhood of people knowing who I was (or for that matter that I was even dressed up) was remote.

Well, come Monday I arrived at work, in jeans, running shoes, a short sleeve plaid shirt, jean jacket, the orange vest, a very old walkman with 80s style headphones, and a borrowed skateboard. The friends at work all thought it was pretty cool, but my boss, whos late 30s early 40s is like "who're you?" I say "here's a hint, big movie in the 80s, trilogy not involving luke skywalker". Nothing. So I told him. "Okay..." he says, shaking his head as he walks off.

Not one hour later, still at work still in said outfit, he comes up to me and asks if I 'm working, yes of course I am, then he asks why I'm not dressed up, which gets quite a laugh out of the other people at work when I RE-explain who I am and that I told him this not one hour ago, to which he replies "oh, well I just thought those were your regular clothes and you were just visiting".

I ask you, people of my generation, is Marty McFly not a cultural icon of the 1980s? Was Back to the Future not one of the coolest movies (and trilogies) of that decade? How could someone NOT get it? Am I that far off? Give me some feedback here, because I worry that only a few people got my costume; reassure me that I'm not totally off base here, and if I am, let me know.

Oh, and I DID end up getting candy after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home