Ramble On

Monday, December 12, 2005

Movie Reviews for my homies

Not too bad, only let about 10 days go between posts, which for me is pretty good.
I've decided with all the good movies I've seen in the past few weeks (as opposed to the shite I usually subject myself to in the fact that my girlfriend perhaps has a tendency to prefer the romcom, and not always wanting to see a historical action movie or some cool concept movie) that I would pass on the good word and save you all from the wondering.

This will be in the order that I've seen them or so I recall seeing them in.

(1) WALK THE LINE
Let me say off the bat, Johnny Cash is the MAN. Literally figuratively and in all senses of the word. Johnny Cash's music and life has been inspirational to me in the last few years when things have looked their darkest. The Man in Black spoke to me on the most simple level and in many other ways. Good thing I'm not talking about organized religion here, but yes I am gushing.
This movie is NOT Ray. That was a fantastic movie and Jamie Foxx literally became Ray Charles. Joaquin Phoenix does not achieve that level of amazingness, but he was pretty damn good, and earned major bonus points for actually doing all the singing himself. Reese Witherspoon is the story of this movie, her portrayal of June Carter Cash is bang on, right down to the southern mannerisms of this Southern born girl (I didn't know that Reese was from the South). I won't tell you what happens, b/c this is a biopic so you kinda know whats gonna happen.
The music is huge, it takes centre stage in the film, which is how it should be, as Johnny Cash's music will probably join Cockroaches and Keith Richards as the only things to survive Armageddon.
Phoenix really gets into the role, does him well, getting the good and the bad of his life down and showing you just how REAL Cash was above all else, with everyone in music, and in life, Johnny Cash was REAL.
And this movie is good. REAL good. Great.
go see.

(2) JUST FRIENDS
This is Mr. Alanis Morisette's latest flick, one of said romcoms my gf enjoys, but this time I was more than willing to go, since I think Ryan Reynolds is hilarious. Van Wilder was a riot, and he was the best part in the shitty movie known as Blade 3. This time he plays a guy who was a fat guy who was in love with his best friend in high school (played by the 'I only play one character' Amy Smart from such flicks as Road Trip & Outside Providence both worth seeing but not for her). At the end of high school she finds out he was in love with her and he runs off, never to be seen again, but ends up returning 10 yrs later as a super successful and much lighter version to his New Jersey home (shades of Garden State but not depressing). Many hilarious anecdotes follow and we all laugh. Highlights being the fighting between Reynolds and his younger brother, and the sleazy Chris 'I was Oz in American Pie' Klein as another geek turned smooth guy who competes for the girl's love. Also the hockey scene is pretty decent.
worth a rent or cheap night, but not full pop.

I have 2 more but my lunch break is over so I will continue again.
Cheers.
Stay tuned for reviews of : Syriana & Cinderella Man, do NOT stay tuned for a review of Harry Potter as I won't be seeing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home