Ramble On

Monday, August 21, 2006

So Long, Farewell, I'm hanging up my cleats...until I get a better offer.

Although its not the first time its happened, and sadly, won't be the last either, the recent "retirement"/"unretirement" of One-Time Great Charger LB Junior Seau just pissed me off. I'm sure the sports columnists have been writing all about this one, but I just have to get it off my chest too. Why bother 'retiring' if you're just going to come back again? Mind you, I can't seemingly recall another instance where the player's retirement lasted all of ... 18hrs or something. The San Diego Chargers, the team that brought Seau into the league and provided him the stage with which to become a dominant player in his day, went to the trouble of holding a retirement ceremony for him, and he thanks them for all the great times by signing with New England what...2 days later? Gee thanks, I really believe all the sincere things you said at your going away party...jackass. Sorry you're not good enough for the Dolphins, and ended the last 2 years on the injured reserve...perhaps diminishing returns should be a sign to hang them up...and it looked like he did get that...or maybe not.

Over the course of the last 2 FULL NFL seasons: Seau played a total of 15 games, and his stats over that period were barely equal to what he put up in his first year with the Fins, and even that wasn't that good. 13 years with the Chargers was a nice career, could have gone out with some class and retired with the same team. Instead ok I can understand the need to continue if you think you're still good enough, and if another team is willing to play you.

Hell I can even understand leaving for a year or something and coming back...not that I agree with it at all, but I understand it. Jordan had a good reason to retire, what with the sad death of his father and all, so I didn't totally begrudge him leaving too early and coming back. In addition, when he came back he also tore shit up and was still #1. So that was somewhat acceptable. The second comeback seemed more for business reasons to sell tickets for the team he invested in, but the first one was allowable.

Mario, when he left figured he wouldn't be alive much more or even able to play again, instead he came back and was once again a force to be reckoned with. Same sorta thing as Jordan, leaves very early as a top or THE top player in his game, returns later and still has it. The second comeback wasn't as great but that was age catching up with him.

I'm sure I could think of more, but when you think of all the greats of all time, who do you remember more? The Jerry Rices in Oakland and Seattle, or the Elways who retired at the peak as a one team man? Who remembers Babe Ruth with the Boston Braves? exactly. But people remember Gehrig and Williams, all with the same team.
Maybe not the same thing, but my point is thus...unless unforseen circumstances force you to leave at a young age when YOU ARE STILL ONE OF THE BEST IN THE GAME...then you really have no business UN-retiring. In addition, sometimes the last 2-5 years if you bounce between other teams at 1/2 skill or diminished returns, then maybe your first team was right to cut you. Why tarnish your image, is the money really that good? Will it buy you forgiveness? Do you think that it should? (no I don't as a fan forgive those who hang on too long and become sad. Even people who are diminishing but manage to find a new role, they are still respectable, the old veteran who sticks around to train his replacement but still contributes...good story.

Anyhow i ramble now, and though thats the name of my game, its time to end this one.

See you on the gridiron.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home