Ramble On

Saturday, February 12, 2011

10 Bands I'd like to get into this year

So.
I love music, reading about it, hearing it, discussing it, turning people on to new things and having new things introduced to me.
One of the most enjoyable things for me the last 7-8 yrs has been reading the UK Music Press. Not all of it mind you, but 2 major mags: UNCUT and MOJO
Growing up, the best I did was reading all the old Rolling Stone issues when Mr. Payne was feeling lucid at KCVI's library. That and, of course, Much Music and Z-Rock. If I couldn't tape it off the radio, or see it on Much Music, then I likely didn't know about it. Then good old Columbia House launched my collection with their lovely deals.
Anyhow, back on track here...Uncut and MOJO were a breath of fresh air when Rolling Stone and Spin had years when I was completely uninterested in their work. Magazines that wrote about music like they loved it, and not like it was their job, or they were trying to sell copies and get buzz.
Well the other fantastic thing about those UK mags, is that each issue came with a sample CD, either of new stuff that came out that month, or was featured in the issue. Those CDs opened up worlds of new sounds and things that otherwise didn't happen in Kingston. (Yes the internet helped a lot, but I'm a luddite and still prefer hard copy magazines if I can get them)
So, after this rambling preamble, here's a list of 10 bands that I'd like to get into this year (in no particular order):

1) Super Furry Animals (Welsh psychadelics from what I can gather)

2) Richmond Fontaine (Americana from middle aged normalish Midwesterners)

3) Calexico (my knowledge extends to their work on the soundtrack to I'm Not There)

4) Mastadon (I purchased Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye from Vertigo Records (formerly Spinnables) on Rideau Street here in Ottawa probably about 10-14 months ago secondhand, and have yet to get a chance to blast it properly, though I do look forward to some righteous noise when I get to it.)

5) Bright Eyes (A friend of mine I used to work with who had impeccable music taste suggested I get into Mr. Oberst and his work, and other than 1 or 2 songs on samplers, I have yet to do so...I think it's high time I did.)

6) The Hold Steady (Other than a sampler CD appearance and their cover of Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? from I'm Not There [which is stupendous] I need to get more of them, and I know Steve will be utterly aghast that I've managed to not have them in my life yet.)

7) The Replacements/Paul Westerberg (I'm embarrassed that I'm ignorant of them other than by name and the OTHER Let it Be album)

8) Howe Gelb (Purveyor of Americana for last 20-25 yrs)

9) Elmore James ('The King of Slide Guitar' and Blues Legend. I'm aware of his stuff, mostly in cover form, but like all the greats of the Blues, the original is always better, and high time I started at the beginning)

10) The First Serious Recommendation I get from someone else.

I'm looking forward to it, along with any other directions the quest sends me off to musically or otherwise.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM , Blogger jackson main said...

    I stole a lot of Rolling Stone's from the KCVI library, I still have them too.

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Gavin27 said...

    Haha awesome. I only replaced one that I had and cut up to decorate my locker with. Though now I know where they went after I read them.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home