Ramble On

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Grammys

First of all, I don't watch the Grammys. Second of all, I have a major problem with the Grammys, in that it seems to recognize sales and popularity, rather than critical acclaim or importance. (It doesn't seem to, it does I should say).

Then there's all the big names to never win a Grammy or to only be given a Lifetime Achievement Grammy as a sort of consolation prize much later on.


The Grammys have been around since 1958, so they've had lots to choose from, and yet you look at it and realize it's just a joke.

U2 have won 22 Grammys, but if you look closer, 16 of those were earned for 2 of their last 3 albums, over the last 10 years (for How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb [9] and All That You Can't Leave Behind [7]). By comparison, The Joshua Tree only won 2.
How are there 9 different ways for one album to win that many awards from the same institution??? Let me just brainstorm...
1) Best Album
2) Best Rock Album
3) Best Record (which means song to the Grammy people)
4) Best Production
5) Best Liner Notes
6) Best God Complex on a Lead Singer
7) Best Usage of Headwear by a Guitarist
8) Best iTunes Commercial
9) Best Cash Earner
I'm fairly sure a couple of those might not be categories, but they might as well be. Did you know there are over 100 different Grammy categories???
My favourites include:
Best Classical Crossover Album - I suppose this is where the London Symphony Orchestra plays NWA's Greatest Hits?
Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical - I wasn't even aware Classical music had remixes...doesn't that by definition make it not Classical??
Best Spoken Word Album for Children - Seriously? What?? Best Bedtime stories album? Wow.
Best Regional Mexican Album - I'm not even making that up. But give the Recording Academy credit, they've got the highest standards. There weren't enough entries into this category so "by Academy Rules" there was no winner or nominees. Shocking!
The Big Names Never to Win a Grammy:
1) Led Zeppelin - Given Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005.
2) The Who - Given the same in 2001.
3) Jimi Hendrix - Given the same in 1992.
4) Queen - none.
5) Bob Marley - Given the same in 2001.
6) The Beach Boys - none.
7) The Kinks - none.
Up until last night, no less than NEIL YOUNG!!! Had never won a Grammy either.
So when I see that Alison Krauss (who is talented I grant) has 26 Grammys, Beyonce has 16 (3 more than Michael Jackson), Chaka Khan has 10, Black Eyed Peas has 6, I just can't take it seriously.
It was nice to see that the Black Keys won 3 Grammys last night, but based on the inflated numbers of Grammys handed out, and those not recognized, they are simply meaningless.
I'll stick to my own enjoyment and recommendations from people who I respect.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home