Ramble On

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Icky Thump

Well after eagerly anticipating the new White Stripes album, even moreso after downloading Icky Thump from iTunes, I can say, Hallelujah.
In the past, White Stripes albums have really had to grow on me, apart from the singles. I started out like most people, around White Blood Cells, and knew a couple songs before I ended up buying it, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I mostly listen to the singles still. De Stijl and The White Stripes, the preceeding albums, I picked up and listened to all the way thru and enjoyed some moments, but I can't say I played them to death. It was really with Elephant that I rushed out to buy it and listened to it non-stop, to the point where I enjoyed every part of it. That album was played a LOT. When the last one, Get Behind me Satan came out, I rushed out to buy it and it kind of sat around as I listened to other albums I'd been meaning to listen to first. Then I ended up getting tickets to see them in Montreal, and ended up driving up to Montreal, and it was where I first cracked the jewel case and listened to it. I really enjoyed it a lot, and ended up actually listening to all 5 albums on the drive up, which is a GREAT way to get ready for a show (Steve I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that theory of mine).

Well Icky Thump the Album is just as good as Icky Thump the single had me hoping it would be. I won't get into specifics, but its Heavy, and wide ranging, just like the range on GBMS and to a lesser extent Elephant. 48 minutes of good simple (in the best sense of the word) heavy blues influenced rock, with a few twists and turns thrown in for good measure.
I'm going to be in Ottawa when they're playing Bluesfest, and I just found out my friend Julia's grandfather won 4 tickets, so he's giving them to her and her cousins, so I know they'll enjoy it, as she's never seen them. I'm not sure if they're still available, but if so I'm going to have to go, which would be the first Bluesfest since the Hip show which just seemed like a Queen's party.

So in short, this is a GOOOD album from the beginning first play, and hopefully it will grow even more to a Great album, but Good is not a bad place to start. Go pick it up and enjoy if thats your kinda thing; if not, then you probably didn't read this post anyhow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home