Ramble On

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Wow, there actually ARE cool jobs out there!

OK loyal followers of the Rambling...I have some fun/exciting news (well its exciting to me at least and maybe one or two of you, but mostly me).
I have just started a new job. Usually it would be like yawn, boring OK, that's great Gav, but I think its actually pretty cool.
What I am doing is online research for a Music Directory of North American Venues. What that means in reality is that I research, state by state, province by province, city by city, all venues where live music is played, whether it be coffee house, bar, club, pub, festival, restaurant, church, or what have you. The theory behind this is that if you are booking a tour for your band (Steve, this might be useful for your musical experiment) anywhere in North America, this Directory will save you a crapload of time and effort looking for good places to play, and also making sure that you don't book your death metal band to play at a church, or your Christian Rock band to play at a Biker Bar. The Brains behind this idea is Dave (can't remember his last name right now) who came up with a similar idea 8-10 years ago, called The Indie Bible to help aspiring musicians to make it in the music business on their own, or at least to facilitate the process. Check it out www.indiebible.com and you can see more of what its all about.
So I'm super psyched to be combining my love of music with the 4 years of research "skills" that I made use of at Queen's. Maybe that liberal arts education wasn't completely impractical ;)
As of now, I'm assigned 3 states to do: Kentucky, West Virginia, and appropriately enough, Missouri, home to my dad's entire side of the family.

So pretty much I search out venues online, check out their websites, and determine what kind of bands they book, ie, what genre, like punk, bluegrass, rock, etc. Then I do an entry about that Venue and attach the website and all the various genres of music they want played at their establishments. The goal is to have the whole of North America done in time to send this to the publisher in November, but it seems like a LOT of work still to be done. Anyhow, regardless, I'm pretty pumped about this, and being online, I can work it around my "regular schedule" whatever that may be.

I'm proud that I rarely discuss work on here, b/c usually no one wants to hear about it, but those of you that make the effort to read this know me well enough to know that this is a pretty sweet way for me to be working. So for those of you who were curious what I was up to, this is it.

Cheers. or should I say Rock On.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger J-Rock said...

    Hey Gav! Comgrats on the new gig. Are you doing this on your own time? Does this give you the ability to leave Trailhead indefinably? ...and when (yes another question) the fuck are you moving?! Can I steal some of your time to go hiking in the near future...maybe the Baffin Islands?!? BTW Thanks for the email - I owe you one!

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Blogger Gavin27 said...

    Jigga.
    I am doing it on my own time, and Monday is the last chance Trailhead Ottawa has to hire me, cause its been a MONTH since the interview, fuck its RETAIL, not Brain surgery, you don't need to screen people that much. So hopefully if I get that too, then I'll be moving to the OTT before July, and if I don't, well I might just move to the OTT anyhow and take a sabbatical from THK for the summer and beyond.
    Baffin Islands? jeez, sounds fun.
    BTW when are we gonna go drinkin, and when are you gonna meet the new lady?

     
  • At 7:42 AM , Blogger gulldogg said...

    Gav, that sounds bloody awesome man! I hope that opens up some good contacts for the future for you too, but this outta keep you busy for the next while.

    I look forward to hearing more about this on your blog!

    Gulldogg

     
  • At 4:04 PM , Blogger Gavin27 said...

    Gulley,

    I"m enjoying it so far, and its only been a week (and I've only worked really twice, one Saturday all day and then a weeknight after regular work. I'm totally hoping it will work for contacts, as I'd be happy doing research, especially in the music area, for a good long time.
    I'll keep things up to date as I can

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home